A common problem that all dog owners dislike is their dog bark a lot. Now before we get into that, we need to remind you that barking is natural, it’s a common nature among dogs. Dogs bark to communicate & if your dog remains silent all the time, then it’s unnatural & deep down your dog may have some serious problems. They bark to solicit play, to signal that something has offended them or to get the attention of the owner. Sometimes they bark when they are excited or stressed or lonely.
Now, when they bark excessively, many people neither can tolerate it nor accept it. If you want to treat this excessive barking, then you will need to take time. You can train him/her not to do it.
Proven Ways On how to stop dog from barking
- First, you need to speak to your dog calmly. Otherwise, your dog will begin to think that you are joining it. So take your time to make him cool & then talk, calmly.
- Some dogs bark because of the scary sounds they hear, for this reason, you should look for the source of it & turn it off.
- When you normally yell at your dog, he/she doesn’t understand that “shut up” or “stop it.” So in this case, you will have to train him to understand the word “Quiet.”
- Sometimes, your dog can bark because of the separation anxiety, in that case, don’t punish him because you may have the opposite effect of increasing his anxiety. You will need to go to the Veterinary Behaviorist who can give you the perfect directions.
- Give him/her some good treats, small & soft which can be eaten easily, this way your dog will stop barking. When he finishes his meal, praise him & he will learn what you like in his behavior.
- Many dogs bark because they feel bored or lonely, so you can relieve their boredom by giving him some chew toys which reward the dog’s attention with tasty treats. Your dog won’t be able to bark & chew at the same time.
- Researchers at Cornell University in New York noticed that the citronella collars are more effective in bark training. These collars give a warning tone first, if a dog still keeps barking, then it prompts a squirt of scent that stops the dog from barking.
- Another simple & effective way is to, take a long run, play ball or take a trip to the dog park before you leave home, this way your dog will become tired & quiet.
We hope & believe that if you follow all these steps, you will get a dog to stop barking.
Emily Anna is a dog lover who is studying Veterinary Nursing and Bioveterinary Science at University of Bristol. She is a regular author of this blog & also a former author of Lucky Pet Dogs and One Dog Day Care.